Monday, December 1, 2008
Cutting Trees: Too Late


I like the notion that no one is able to cut a tree without a plan to plant ten trees to replace it. I cant imagine one could just cut a tree and not replace it. Even worst if I think of a 100 year old tree or older cut down for whatever reason.



I have heard of this almost 20 years ago when they created the Department of Environment and Natural Resources but I havent seen it in action. I see a lot of trees being cut everyday but I havent seen trees planted.

As far as I know before somebody could cut a tree that person got to have a damn good reason why he needs to do it and he goes through a process of approvals to get a permit accompanied but a state/city officials and of course required to buy the replacement trees as well. It is not a simple process which I think is a good way of making sure our environment is kept safe and beautiful. But somehow this has not been happening.

Apparently, some state officials skip these processes, it could be because they get paid or they are just not doing their job.

Where I live (Bukidnon, Philippines) represents the richness of the world. It still has one of Philippine's virgin forests. It has kept its living rivers and creeks. The awesome views of the mountains and hills. But everyday I see how rapidly it is deteriorating. Her climate has already changed.



The government has to step up and start looking at this. We might not be able to let our children or grandchildren see the actual beauty we see now and the experience we have but in pictures and videos.

For my part, I just bought a 12 hectares of land so I can plant trees. With the area I have, I will be able to plant 6,000 trees and will be fully grown by 2019.

I hope I am not too late.
 
posted by Onedec at 12:26 AM | Permalink |


1 Comments:


At December 2, 2008 at 8:31 PM, Blogger Beth

i think you're not too late. and thanks for doing that. i hope i can do that too. :D